Wednesday, August 21, 2013

When in doubt, sweat it out

Wow. It's been awhile. I was feeling pretty sick these past few days. On Sunday I just laid around my apartment all day. But I eventually had to go get food so I dragged myself up and stumbled to Coles. I bought one of those rotisserie chickens, 4 liters of juice, and then spent waaaay too much time in the medicine section. Now, I think it's similar to what I found in Spain in that drugs are sold in a pharmacy. Eh, I don't really know. But from what I could tell (although my brain function was low at this point) a lot of the things there were these herbal based drugs (side note: they pronounce the H in herbs). I'm not looking for hippie nonsense. I'm looking for some drugs here. So what did I settle on?


A few thoughts may enter your head. 1) Yes, I brought medicine from the US, but supplies were running low so I needed to restock 2) Yes, those are children's medicines.
 
Now let me explain. On the one of the left, I was looking for something like Children's Tylenol because my throat was killing me (really hurt to swallow) and I've found that sucking one or two of those helps the pain there. Well, Tylenol ain't an international thing, but this seemed comparable. I saw some that said dissoluble, but I knew I didn't want that. So I bought the soluble kind (yes, I know... I later found that out the hard way. Remember, brain function was low. On a related note, do people ever find out the hard way that inflammable and flammable mean the same thing?).
 
Interesting to note that Panadol is the name brand for paracetamol which is what acetaminophen (Tylenol) is called here. Why they aren't they same, I have no idea. But I had to later research what the heck I purchased.
 
The Robitussin I purchased almost solely on brand awareness. I figured, hey, I know that. I hope it's the same here. I'll just up the dosage a bit. I didn't see an adult version. Maybe that's in pharmacies?
 
Along comes Monday and I'm feeling a bit better, but still have the chills. Just can't stay warm. Work was pretty miserable (including the hour plus commute via train and cab one way) and I wasn't able to get a ton done. Tuesday was similar, but again, starting to feel better. However, late afternoon I just hit a wall. I got home Tuesday night and went to bed at 7:40pm after having a warm cup of OJ with a Panadol soluble.
 
Works better in juice vs your mouth...
Before 1am, I had woken up 3 different times drenched in a cold sweat (requiring me to change my clothes and lay down some towels in my bed). I was kind of scared to go back to sleep, so I laid on the couch a bit. But then I decided to face the music and go back to my bed. Thankfully, I didn't break out in a sweat again and at about 8am (en route to work) I was feeling better! Woo hoo! I mean, not 100%, but much better! And my chills are gone! You know what that means? I got to work later than I was able to do previously... Yay... And do some wrap up work I'd been putting off once I got home. But hey, I'd rather be working than feel the way I'd been feeling. I also was able to clean up my apartment. There were dishes, clothes, and medicine wrappers EVERYwhere.
 
That leads me to this (Thur) morning. I still have a cough and don't feel all the way better. But such an improvement. The only thing is I basically sweated the whole night. I still feel fairly rested, but weird... I hope that goes away tonight...
 
And one more side note. All this week I've basically taken no showers because there's been no hot water (twice I jumped in, washed my hair, only to have the hot water go out and I have to jump out). Not pleasant when you're been sick. I emailed the HR lady who hooked me up with the apartment and she emailed the property managers. I guess they're installing 2 new boilers on Friday. Oh, gee. Thanks, guys. That's really awesome. So I'll leave you with my thoughts on my shower.
 
You'd be pissed, too
Wallabies/All Blacks post to follow. Oh, and I go to Melbourne this weekend. Glad I'm so ready for that.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment