Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Food Courts

Yes, it's a slow day. It's hard to find exciting topics for each day when you work during the day and, because it's winter, it's dark by 5:20. But alas, I should document the food courts.

Similar in concept to a mall food court, throughout the city there are these food courts that have many different types of restaurants you can order from. Someone mentioned to me that they didn't think there were similar types of food courts in the US. I mentioned that we do have them in malls, but not so much just out and about like here (these food courts are mostly at the base of office buildings). However, after careful consideration, yes, there are indeed food courts in San Francisco (see? I told you I'm not a great observer). However, I'd agree that there aren't as many in the US. And likewise, there don't appear to be as many "stand alone" restaurants here. Please note that this is probably wildly inaccurate.

One cool thing that I can say for sure I've never seen in the States? The tupperware you get when you order from most places.

Gotta collect 'em all!
Now, my apartment didn't come with tupperware, so I've been keeping these as I get them when I eat out for lunch. Let's say you go to a Chinese place. You'll pick a size (I'll take a large for $9) and they'll cram a bunch of Chinese food in it, close the lid, and hand it over. These babies even say they're microwavable! Pretty fancy.

In other news, apparently there was a gruesome murder in Ohio. How do I know this? Because it was on the Australian news channel (ABC - Australian Broadcasting Corporation). Why would Sydneysiders care about a murder in the US? To be honest, the US makes the news a lot (perhaps I would have noticed this in Barcelona, but the language barrier may have posed a problem). My current theory (still being sorted out) is that the USA is kind of like a celebrity. A celebrity in the sense that the world likes to hear what life's like there (think movies, TV shows, Disney) and likes to see the stupid stuff we do. Kind of like how we're like with Kanye. We like to hear that he's a terrible father. And we like to see Kim Kardashian like this. And like Kim Kardashian, not sure why we're a celebrity. However, I do know that Michael Moore documentaries and the TV show Cops (which I see on all the time here) probably doesn't help in the image department.

No comments:

Post a Comment