Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Gotta get my pump on

Day 4 in Sydney and nothing like waking up to a nice bowl of cereal.
The towel to the left is about as soft as sandpaper...
Also marked my first full day of work at a client. Things are going pretty well. Busy season starts soon (about mid-July) so hours will start picking up.

I finally got Viber to work. Viber's an app that allows me to text and call my peeps in the US using data rather than minutes. I got to talk a little bit to Michelle today. Can't lie. Kinda feels cool having an international phone number. Also, it's pretty cool that the US's country code is "1." Boom. That's what you get for inventing the telephone. Australia's code is 61.

I fulfilled my second promise to Michelle: joined a gym to make sure I keep working out for our wedding (the first promise was to make sure I eat... haha). She's concerned because when I was studying abroad in Barcelona, I lost about 10 lbs. But in all fairness, I was on a pretty tight budget. Anyway, now I just need to keep on promise #3: stay safe. That part is a bit tricky, especially with everyone driving on the other side of the road. I keep looking the wrong way when I cross the street. Oops. Also, on sidewalks and elevators, I keep trying to walk on the right side instead of the left side, causing all kinds of commotion (well, not really. I just keep almost bumping into confused people who wonder why I darted society's"wrong" way to walk).

The first gym I went to was called Fitness First. Super nice gym. Stupid nice. Of course, it was $35 a week (I've noticed that Australia seems to charge by the week rather than by month). There was also a $75 activation fee. That was a little steep for me, so I ended up at Anytime Fitness (definitely no where near as nice, but had what I needed). The activation fee was $85 and it's $15 a a week. Still more expensive than my 24 Hour Fitness membership back in the States ($30 a month), but not too bad.

While I was signing up, I got to talking with the lady and learned that the minimum wage in Australia is $20 an hour. A quick Google search seemed to corroborate what she was saying. No wonder everything is so darn expensive (including my overpriced Chinese food tonight at BBQ King).
You wouldn't believe how much this cost...
Looks like tomorrow I might be headed to this to celebrate the 4th.

Australia Sticker Price Shock of the Day: A 6 pack of Corona for $21.

No comments:

Post a Comment